Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Countdown to Christmas







This year instead of the traditional Advent Calendar I put my own spin on it. My neighbor gave me this wonderful idea to display bags with the date. Each day there would be a special activity the girls and I (Family) can work on.

The first week is over and I'm exhausted, but it was a definite success! The girls are excited to come downstairs each morning and see what's in store for them.
Initially I decided to do this in lieu of the traditional Advent chocolates because I thought the girls would love it (Also the chocolate in the calendars are horrible).
One of our activities this week was making popcorn and cranberry garland. The girls and I spent almost 2.5 hours at the kitchen table talking and singing Christmas songs. I'm sure more popcorn was consumed then strung:)
We wear so many hats as Moms. I'm fortunate to stay home with my girls. Physically I'm there 24/7, but sometimes not always present.







The simple activity of stringing garland helped me connect with them. I wasn't thinking of cooking, cleaning or laundry. I didn't check my email or FB once:) It really made me think. The girls really don't care what they're doing, they just want to spend time with me.
It's always a struggle to find time in the day to accomplish all I need too. Like most women I want to have the beautifully kept home and be the perfect mother and wife. Who has the time though? If my house looks good I've either been up late or the girls have been in front of the TV which I never do:)
I guess I can live with a not so perfect house (Baby steps). I just want to squeeze in all those magical moments with my girls while I can. I know that's what they will remember.
Hope you're enjoying the magic of the season in your own home. Thanks for checking on us!




















































































































1 comment:

Mommy to Tyler & Kendall said...

What a wonderful idea! I'm not sure I could come up with that many ideas to do something everyday. You're a rockstar. Maybe I'll do that next year in our advent calendar. But I don't think I could take away the chocolate, they love it (left over halloween candy since I can't find the chocolate coins this year!)

York 2010

Poretsky Family Photos 2009

Rinney Turns 2

Five and Fabulous