Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mommy INC.


I've been a SAHM for 4 years now. I came from the corporate world where meetings, structure, and plans were key. I'm actually one of those people that love to plan, and schedule. Obviously with two small girls and a puppy I have to be a little more laid back. It's easy to be more structured during the school year. The summer is not so easy.



DH has been traveling more than he ever has this year. I was starting to feel overwhelmed with all of the demands at the end of the school year. I knew I needed to do something to keep us sane this summer. E is very used to being busy. If I didn't have a plan it would be a long summer:) She is also off to Kindergarten in the fall. A little bittersweet for me. I wanted her to have a great summer she will remember (I know she is 5 so this is unlikely).



Without sounding too Type A I know summer is supposed to be spontaneous and carefree. Have you ever tried to plan a spontaneous beach trip with a 5 and 2 year old? I think not! I had to come up with something that would add a little order to the household.



I started something called the Morning Meeting. It's really not as formal as it sounds. The meeting is at breakfast and, consists of an itinerary for the day, some education (We do the letter of the day), and a little democracy so the girls can make some choices. I also threw in some family announcements and sneak in a couple of rules:( The result of the morning meeting... the girls LOVE it! E has requested we have a lunch and dinner meeting. When C is saying goodnight she will say "Night, night Mommy, I see you at morning meeting." Aahh future Corporate America:)



This seems simple, but it's a lot of work! Now that the girls are used to this I have to be on top of my game. I have found though even the mundane tasks of grocery shopping sound so much better at the morning meeting. It's not all fun and games at the Poretsky house, but it's only July and we have already done some amazing things.























































































No comments:

York 2010

Poretsky Family Photos 2009

Rinney Turns 2

Five and Fabulous