Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Little Farmers



Our family joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) this summer. We are splitting a share with a neighbor. It's week 4 and our family is loving it!

We pick up the share every other week. This was the first week I brought the girls. They were so excited to go to the farm. There are certain veggies that are PYO, because of the labor involved. If the share holders pick, the Farm can concentrate on other things.
The girls and I really enjoyed walking into the fields to pick our share of green beans. I was surprised on how well they did. At one point I looked over at E and saw she was a dirty mess. She quickly told me "Farmers are supposed to get dirty Mommy." C was too busy watching all the chickens to worry about getting too dirty:) They were both so proud to pick food for our family.
We headed back to the barn to pick up the rest of our share. This week was lettuce, greens (Kale), scallions, turnips, carrots, and something I've never heard of Kohlrabi??

Both of the girls are pretty good eating their veggies, but there is something about knowing where it's coming from. They have been MORE willing to try something new.

I'm a Midwest girl, and growing up we always had a garden. This was something our family did every year. I guess you could call it a tradition, but I just saw it as the way our family worked. My sister and I planted, watered, weeded, and harvested. I remember how hot our kitchen was in late August as my Mother, and Grandmothers canned leftover tomatoes, beans, peaches, etc.
I call the East Coast my home now. It's very different from the small town simplicity of my youth. I'm happy with my fast paced life, but it's hard to be so far away from my family at times.
The CSA and our family garden are nourishing our family. It's also nourishing a little bit of MY family history. My girls will have a little piece of me, and the family that lives so far away.
DH can't relate because he is too much of a city boy:) He is however, benefiting from the fruits of OUR Labor:)




















Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mommy to Tyler & Kendall said...

If where we are now is "fast paced" compared to the "small town simplicity of your youth" I can't even fathom how small the town was/is that you grew up in. hehehe

Ms. Zuba said...

Kohlrabi was a staple in our garden growing up. I miss it. Can't buy it in the grocery stores around here.

York 2010

Poretsky Family Photos 2009

Rinney Turns 2

Five and Fabulous